Friday, March 7, 2008

" Girls of 68" This is for you.

So, I want to say I am the first to appreciate a proud husband that has been in love with his wife and happily married for 39 years. Life doesn't get any better. But, for those of us who have been (in these last 15 years) to the raw edge of menopause and back and have returned with our "true voices" intact, this post is for you. Please don't back out of this reunion because you think you should look a certain way or still be "18." One of the reasons I am coming to this 40th is because I have been taking care of an 88 year old mother that is coming to the end of a long battle with her health and who has lived her life for what "others" wanted her to be or do. It makes you re-evaluate what it means to be female. If anyone got to see the musical "Menopause" you know life isn't about staying the same. It is about looking changes in the face and learning to go with them. So, "girls of 68" I am gray, battling weight, divorced and still pretty happy with the way my life has turned out. I've raised a dynamic daughter, live in a comfortable house that I paid for myself, and have worked in a career I love for the past 26 years. Not typical, I guess, but real life. I am "coming home" to honor my New England roots & to say thank you to some great people (male and female) that helped me on the road to where I am today. So I want to hear what the "women of 68" have been doing in the past 40 years-married or not, gray or still paying for "natural color," thin or thick. Like Sugarland/Bon Jovi says in the song, " there are a million miles of memories on that road. Who says you can't go home-there's only one place they call me one of their own." I for one am looking forward to seeing everyone. I may have to put on my progressives to do that, but I will be there with an open heart. See you in June. Sally (Hornkohl) Bell: Way Out West

3 comments:

Ro Faiola Reeder said...

Oh Sally,
You are the first one I want to hug on June 28th!
Ro

Pat Wisk Stenberg said...

Sally,
I enjoyed reading your comments. I'm sure that all of the "68" girls have had a wide variety of life experiences, not all of them picture perfect! :] I hope to attend the reunion but not 100% sure yet - it's great to hear from classmates on this blog. I'm not sure how far west you are but I've been in the San Diego area for 28 yrs!! Nice to hear from everyone.
Pat Wisk Stenberg

Lisa said...

Sally,
Life so far has definately been interesting to say the least!
I have come back "home" and am currently living in Berlin (CT) spending lots of time with my "kids", (who have turned out pretty well in spite of me) and 2 grandchildren who are the love(s) of my life.
Who I am, and where my life is heading is still a work in progress. Along the way I am now taking the time to do things just for the fun of it !!!!
I am really looking forward to taking a stroll down memory lane and seeing some of the people who were once such a huge part of our "early years".
Take care, and see you in June.

Lisa Dowling