Sunday, March 9, 2008

Another Voice Heard From

This girl of '68 is at times, a worn out warrior...I still believe in revolution and have an automatic response when being told "you can't do that..." There are times the fight is still in me. Being stubborn has served me well. I raised two children (with the goal of growing up before they did) to be independent, know who they are and be proud of it. I am no good at marriages, but great with kids, animals and old people. I am a long time friend of Bill W. and after 26 years, have gotten the hang of "one day at a time." There are a lot of things I don't understand, and still struggle to accept. In the last few years three people close to me have died, two of whom were my personal heroes. I have not recovered yet. I think I have learned what is important, but I have not had an "open heart" for quite some time. I trust it will return if I keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep the proverbial faith. Being the girl from '68, I have always been drawn to a good existential crisis. It is just easier when it's happening to someone else. So Sally, in the past 40 years I have gone to college many times, finally graduated and got a master's degree. I have been married twice, which means twice divorced for me. I have a son and a daughter who are both artists. Now I run the facility I went to work in 25 years ago as a social worker. I don't have much grey hair, but both my knees need to be replaced. I still turn up the stereo loud, listen to Talking Heads or B B King. I have a parrot that loves to dance to rap music and meows like my Siamese cat (not at the same time.) I sleep with an old basset hound who has no eyes and when folks see her they say "is she blind?" (I love that) I eat too much junk food and don't exercise. And I am convinced I am at least 15 degrees warmer than everyone else (yes, I feel like a freak.) And I remember walking home from Stanley School with you, going an extra block or two past my street because we were having fun and I did not want it to be over. What I wanted was a real life. And lucky me, that's what I have. Does it get any better?

2 comments:

Ro Faiola Reeder said...

Ok, so I'll have to hug both of you at the same time. Now you have to come to the reunion, Karen.
Ro

Sally Hornkohl said...

Karen:

I am going to try to post this comment again. I would love to hear from you. Sounds like we are sisters under the skin. I am working in the travel industry and am having fun with that, but won't take me into retirement, so look for me at the Yellowstone stores selling bear bells to the tourists. Come to the reunion if you can, would love to talk to you.

Sally Hornkohl Bell