Monday, May 26, 2008

YA GOTTA LOVE THIS GUY

Ro,
In an early blog you challenged those of us who did not attend the 25th to post a picture of ourselves from that time, attached is mine.
Here's an addition to the blog if you want.
Thoughts from one of the Lost Boys, i.e. until Patti found me. I am definitely going to the reunion and I challenge those who haven't yet committed to going to come and join us. As Ro pointed out don't worry about your looks. Reality is at this point we probably look more like our parents. Heck, I'm almost twice the person I was when I graduated. Take it as a challenge, try and identify the parents from the high school pictures of their kids. If you don't want to go because of the way you turned out, give it up. I used that excuse for the 25th reunion and regret it now. Herr Koch said he had a map when he graduated. Well I tried winging it and it shows. You could give me the title of Class Underachiever if you want. It wasn't until about 5 years ago that I realized what I should have been when I grew up. Come to the reunion if you are interested in details. I did have some successes. Most notably it took a military assignment to Germany to find a "Polish" girl from the eastside of Detroit, the city not the burbs. I proposed after knowing her a month after we met and we were married a month later. That has lasted over 31 years. The way I look at this reunion is a get together of a family that has been apart for 40 years. For me, I realized that I grew up with a good sized group of the graduating class, i.e. from first grade through high school. If that ain't like family I don't know what is. And, the excuse for not going because I'm afraid I won't remember, I figure everyone will help. Take this from someone with the memory of a sieve. I have gone over the yearbook a number of time looking at the pictures and the notes and the memories just aren't coming back that easily from the recesses of my mind. But that's a big reason for me going. I left too much behind and regret it now. Regarding the notes, Peggy and Ursula, I am sorry I was so annoying in Physics. Anyway, I am making the time and taking the road trip. I hope to see most of the class at the reunion.
lou (Zabohonski)

3 comments:

janet weed boutin said...

Lou,

It was great reading your blog!! I believe that in this stag of our lives we all have much more in common than we did in high school. It's all of us now, not just what group of friends we hung out with. Dennis remembers you from Boy Scouts, and PHS. Looking forward to seeing you at the Renion.

Janet

Patti Dezi said...

Is it me or does Lou look like Tony Soprano? You must have some Italian in your blood. Great picture Lou, happy I was able to find you. Looking forward to getting to know you at the reunion especailly since I did not during High School. Thanks for posting, it was great reading.
Patti

Ro Faiola Reeder said...

Hey Lou,
Does this mean I don't have to go on the "lose 30lbs in 30 days" diet?
Ro