Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Regrets and Fond Memories from Richard Cook: Wide-Eyed and eighteen I had my entire life mapped out after I graduated from High School. Somehow, somewhere I lost that map. The scary thing was that every so often I would find myself back on track, thinking that I knew exactly what I was doing. But sooner or later I would discover that I was back in the thickest underbrush without the aid of a compass. Yet, I have still managed to arrive at this moment in time with my sanity somewhat in tact. (However, many of you, especially Kathy Smulski, will probably doubt that.) It was a pleasant surprise when I received Dez’s call about the upcoming reunion. After I lost the initial contact from the moment I graduated with everyone in the class I figured that I would forever be listed as an MIA during each of the reunions’ roll calls. From somewhere in an old box I found my yearbook. As I thumbed through the pages old faces and forgotten memories returned. There was Ross Spooner, Debbie Stratton, Nancy Matascik, and Kevin McCall who lived on the same street as I did. In those pages I rediscovered quiet Claire Calcinari who was in my homeroom both at Nathan Hale as well as at Pulaski. Then there was Phil Bruzas and fond memories of football push-push drills in the mud. Finally, I came upon the picture of Lou Zabohonski who was a great friend during our Senior year. It is with regret that I will not be able to join you at this joyous occasion. Although my numerous commitments preclude me from attending, I shall think fondly of each of you on that special day. What has happened to me in forty years? First of all I’m still numb to the fact that that many years have actually past. In simple form my story is as follows: To the possible horror of my old laboratory partners, Jean Bonafonte and Lisa Dowling, I actually make a living as a certified laboratory chemist in a research facility. Even without looking in my yearbook I have always remembered Jean’s reminder of our days at Pulaski. There next to her picture she wrote, “Remember last year in Chemistry? How could I forget the time that you almost blew Lisa and I up!” She, and others, may be surprised to learn that I have never succeeded in that particular endeavor, although several of my colleagues have gold stars in that category. My best regards to each and every one of you. A special thank you to “Mr. Mac” for all of your support during those chaotic high school daze (sic). Rich Cook

6 comments:

janet weed boutin said...

Hi Rich,

I didn't really know you in high school, but read your blog with interest and happy that you are doing well. Louis Zabahonski was in my homeroom, and was a quietly funny guy! Do you know how he is, and if he's coming. Take care,

Janet

Lisa said...

Rich, I too have a hard time believing that 40 years have gone by so quickly. I do remember that chemistry class. It wasn't my best class(along with A couple of others). I also remember being quite happy that I had the good fortune to have you as my lab partner. I think it's great that you have been able to have a career doing something you love.
Sorry you won't be able to make it to this reunion. Where are you living now?
As a side note people should be happy to know that the only chemicals I work with are found in floral preservative, as I am a floral designer.
Lisa

Ro Faiola Reeder said...

Hi Rich,
Your letter on the blog has given us a much needed boost. Don't know how we could have such similar memories and not have known each other. I lived in that neighborhood, too. There was Barb Vallario, Chris Mucha, Robbie Shettle, if you count Cianci and Alexander in with Nachilly and Marigold. It was sort of a take on the famous Levittown development of post war housing.
As far as chemistry went, I was so terrified of chemistry, I left it for my senior year. Poor Mike Latina and Paul Karpicz were unlucky enough to have me for a lab partner. I swear I never would have graduated without those two. Periodic Table, What Periodic Table? You mean we have to know that? Why? So here's to fond memories of the old neighborhood. Remember the brook? And not so fond memories of Chemistry. I know Mr. Rittner found it terribly amusing that there was a candid of me in the Chem lab. He even signed my year book on that photo, instead of his own.
Rosi

Lisa said...

I don't know about everyone else but what I find amazing is the fact that I can remember these places, people and events, ( I remember walking past that brook 4 times a day, often with Robby Shettle on our way back and forth to Holmes school for 6 years) and yet when I go to the grocery store I can't remember what I needed, and of course my list is at home :).
Lisa

lou zabohonski said...

Herr Koch,
Sorry to hear you are not going to make the reunion. I was looking forward to the opportunity to reminisce you there. Believe it or not, my sister remembers talking with you for over an hour at my home while I was away at college.
For Janet or anyone else interested, I am doing okay and will be at the reunion. If anyone wants to contact me my email is lou@turnzwood2.com.

Lou

Cliff Cayer said...

Rich,

Unlike some others (namely Phil Bruzas), age has taken its toll on me with detailed memories of PHS. But I do seem to recall, however, how “scientific” you were with chemistry and physics – a lot like me with electronics.

A little background is in order here. Pat has been in charge of the “PHS68 Posse”, charged with hunting down all the missing classmates. On March 22nd, Pat sent me a note, saying that she found you at the Allentown address I gave her. I think you can imagine how many Richard Cooks are in the U.S. - but it was worth sorting through all of them, giving her a list of good candidates, and then hearing that she found the one we were looking for. What a high for me, and for her! “Another found, and only 53 left”, she said. Now, through her efforts and the efforts of several others, we are down to far less than half that left to find.

If something does change your plans and you can come, you won’t regret it. Either way, it was great to find you, and even greater to hear that you are doing well and enjoying life. Please keep in touch via the web/blog, even if you can’t make the reunion.

Deputy Cliff